Learn about the fascinating features of the new Smithsonian X 3D Explorer and how to navigate, explore and manipulate 3D collection objects. This page gets you started and explains the functionality of the explorer in detail.
The Smithsonian X 3D Explorer is beta software. If you find bugs or want to share ideas for improving the software and website, we'd be happy to hear from you. Please send your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Prerequisites: What you need in order to run the Smithsonian X 3D Explorer.
- Overview: Navigating and exploring models and tours, 3D and 2.5D mode.
- Commands and gestures: Mouse, touch and keyboard commands and gestures.
- Setup toolbox: Manage split screens, load multiple models.
- Material toolbox: Change surface properties.
- Lighting toolbox: Change the direction and color of light sources.
- Environment toolbox: Chose background and grid colors.
- Tools toobox: Take measurements, create cross-sections, explore the height profile.
The end of "do not touch": Use the Smithsonian X 3D Explorer to explore and manipulate museum objects like never before. Create and share your own scenes and print highly detailed replica of original Smithsonian collection pieces.