- Description (Brief)
- Red, Nike sleeveless basketball jersey with blue trim. There is a blue "USA" applique sewn onto the front of the jersey with a white number "6" sewn directly beneath it. Appliqued in white on the back of the jersey is BIRD / 6. Size 42, length +2. This is an alternate jersey to be worn by Sue Bird during the 2012 Olympic Games. The women's basketball team won gold during the 2012 London Summer Olympic games.
- The 2012 Summer Olympics, also known as the Games of the XXX Olympiad were held in London, England with 204 countries, 5,992 men and 4,776 women athletes participating. With the inclusion of women’s boxing, these Games became the first with female competitors in every sport and the first at which each country entered, had a female representative. Women’s boxing debuted and mixed doubles in tennis was held for the first time since the 1924 Games. American Michael Phelps won his 22nd medal making him the most decorated Olympic athlete of all time. Every athlete to win a medal at these Games was drug tested and as of 2017, 31 medals had been rescinded due to doping. The United States won the medal count with 104.
- Currently not on view
- date made
- Nike, Inc.
- related event
- Olympic Summer Games: London, 2012
- See more items in
- Culture and the Arts: Sport and Leisure
- Data Source
- National Museum of American History
- ID Number
- accession number
- catalog number
- Object Name
- jersey, olympics
- basketball jersey
- basketball jersey, summer olympics
- jersey, basketball
- basketball jersey, olympics
- Physical Description
- fabric, polyester (overall material)
- overall: 30 in x 19 in; 76.2 cm x 48.26 cm
- overall, mounted (with shorts): 37 in x 18 1/2 in x 12 in; 93.98 cm x 46.99 cm x 30.48 cm
- Record ID
- Metadata Usage
Related Object Groups
International media Interoperability Framework
IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.